Indian Engineering Service (IES) Examination is held by the UPSC. IES officials who hold the Class-1 officer designation. IES officials include manage and administer the Public Sector of the Indian economy. Public sectors like Telecom, Indian Railways, Power sector are benefitted by these officials. IES officers also provide services to Central Water engineering, Central Engineering Service, Defence Service of Engineers and so on.
IES examination is held by the UPSC every year. It has a single exam for all branches of engineering. It makes difficult to pass because the candidate will have to be updated about every detail of the engineering syllabus and their implications. This exam consists of a written exam and interview like other Civil Service Exam.
Four categories of officials are recruited
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
Eligibility for appearing in the IES Examination
Nationality is an important factor for appearing in IES. These are as follows:
- Citizen of India
- A subject of Nepal
- A subject of Bhutan
- A Tibetan Refugee in India as a permanent resident (until January 01, 1962)
- Indian origin individual from Burma, Pakistan, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia, Sri Lanka or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India forever.
- The candidates in B, C, D and E categories need to have a certificate proof of eligibility which should be issued by the GOI. An offer of appointment/recruitment will be issued only on the submission of the eligibility certificate copy.
IES – Age Limit:
- Candidate must be at least 21 years old. The candidate will not be allowed to appear in the exam if above 29 years. This criterion is for General Category candidates. But SC and ST candidates have a relaxation of upper age up to 35 years. OBC candidates have a relaxation of upper age up to 33 years. The State of Jammu & Kashmir has special provisions for candidates as they have upper age relaxation for up to 35 years ( if they are staying from January 1980 to December 1989).
- Ex-servicemen candidates get relaxation of the upper age limit of up to 35 years. This relaxation is subject to Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs, who have been in the Military Services for at least 5 years in respect to the year of the examination. The ex-servicemen should have completed an assignment or already in the process of completion within the current year.
Minimum Educational Qualifications for IES
- Candidate must be a holder of an engineering degree from a recognized University (under the Act of the Central or State Legislature in India).
- Candidates who are engineering degree holders from any other Educational Institutions set up under an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities u/s 3 of the UGC Act, 1956.
- Candidates who have cleared Sections A & B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers from India.
- Those who have an Engineering degree or diploma from a foreign University /College and Institution (must be recognized by the Government of India).
- Those who have the Graduate Membership Exam of the Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India).
- Those who passed the Associate Membership Exam Parts II and III or Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- Those who passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London which are held after November 1959.
- Candidates who appeared in any of the above-exams (and awaiting results) are considered eligible to apply for the IES exam. Their admission, however, is provisional and can be cancelled if they fail to submit the proof of passing the exam.
- The UPSC may accept candidate applications (only in certain cases) for those who do not necessarily qualify as mentioned above but are qualified candidates from other educational institutes considered by the UPSC authority.
- Candidate passed from a foreign university which is not recognized by the GOI can apply subject to admission at the UPSC discretion.
For more details visit: https://upsc.gov.in/