The Combined Medical Services Examination is conducted by UPSC for recruitment of MBBS graduates in organizations under the Indian Government such as the Indian Ordnance Factory, Indian Railways, Municipal Corporation of Delhi, and New Delhi Municipal Council. The exam consists of an objective type written examination with two papers of 250 marks each. Candidates who qualify for the exam are eligible for an Interview and Personality Test.
In the article below, you will find answers to questions like what is the job profile of a UPSC CMS Officer, what are the different ranks allotted, and a UPSC Medical Officer’s salary. Also, find the sources to find the syllabus for the exam.
UPSC Medical Officer Job Profiles and Salary Allotted
Take a look at the table below to find the salary criteria based on different ranks in the UPSC Combined Medical Services.
|Assistant Divisional Medical Officer (Indian Railways)||₹15600- ₹39100|
|2.||Assistant Medical Officer (Indian Ordnance Factories)||Pay level 10 of the pay matrix plus NPA|
|3.||Junior Scale Post Officer (Central Health Service)||₹56100- ₹177500|
|4.||General Duty Medical Officer (New Delhi Medical Council)||₹56100- ₹177500|
|5.||General Duty Medical Officer Grade-II (New Delhi Medical Council, South Delhi Medical Corporation, and North Delhi Medical Corporation)||₹15600- ₹39100+ Grade Pay of ₹5400|
Duties of a UPSC Medical Officer
The duties and responsibilities of a UPSC Medical Officer based on their job posts include some of the following-
Assistant Divisional Medical Officer in the Indian Railways
- Serve in the Defence Services or a post under/ related to the Defence of India for at least 4 years, including the training period
- Attend the indoor wards and out patent departments regularly
- Conduct medical examinations of candidates and employees in service
- Look after the public health, and sanitization in their jurisdiction
- Take charge of the discipline and discharge of duties of the Hospital Health Unit Staff and so
- Carry out the examination of the vendors
Assistant Medical Officer in Indian Ordnance Factories
- Carry out Medical Examinations
- Keep attendance of emergencies, inpatients, and outpatients
- Catering to occupational health services
- Organizing and supervising the work, and maintaining the instruments
- Ensuring proper biomedical waste disposal
Junior Scale Post Officer in Central Health Service
- Attend to patients in emergencies
- Keep a record of inpatients and outpatients, and attend to them
- Conduct medical examinations of employees
- Take responsibility for the administration of the Medical Department
General Duty Medical Officer in New Delhi Medical Council, South Delhi Medical Corporation, and North Delhi Medical Corporation
- Review medical data of the patients and conduct tests if more information is required
- Researching about modern medical programs and researches
- Planning and executing clinical aid for the patients
- Reviewing services and programs offered and recommending changes
- Consistently maintain the clinical documentation of their patients
Also Read: UPSC Optional Medical Science Syllabus
Perks and Benefits Received by UPSC Medical Officers
The UPSC CMS Officers are entitled to the following perks apart from their salary structure-
- They are granted gratuity and pensions enforced by Council with regular changes in the norms
- They have a better chance of being promoted based on the performance and expertise than their peers in private firms
- The Railway Medical Services Recruitment Rules, 2000 determine their pay scales and allowances that can be at a higher grade depending on their experience
- The Ministry of Railway issues orders and instructions often with respect to their allowances as well
- The rules for taking leaves are quite accommodating and as long as the officers follow the rules, they are free to take leaves.
Vacancy for UPSC CMS
According to the notification published by UPSC, the approximate number of vacancies available are as follows-
|Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Service||182|
|Assistant Divisional Medical Officer (Railways)||300|
|Assistant Medical Officer (Indian Ordnance Factories Health Service)||66|
|General Duty Medical Officer (New Delhi Municipal Council)||04|
|General Duty Medical Officer Grade-II (East Delhi Municipal Corporation, North Delhi Municipal Corporation, and South Delhi Municipal Corporation)||07|
Reservations for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities
- The total number of vacancies thus available is 559. Out of these, 12 vacancies for the Assistant Divisional Medical Officer in the Railways are reserved for persons with Locomotor Disability having functional classification BL, OL, OA.
- There is 1 vacancy reserved in the post of Assistant Medical Officer in Indian Ordnance Factories Health Services is reserved for persons with locomotor disability or cerebral palsy having functional Classification OL.
- There are 8 vacancies in Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Services reserved for persons with blindness, deafness, locomotor disabilities, and intellectual or mental disabilities.
- There is 1 post reserved in General Duty Medical Officer in New Delhi Municipal Council for persons having Locomotor Disabilities.
- There are no vacancies for persons with Benchmark Disabilities in General Duty Medical Officer (Gr.II) in East Delhi Municipal Corporation, North Delhi Municipal Corporation, and South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
We hope the article was successful in quenching your curiosity regarding UPSC CMS Medical Officer’s salary, ranks, duties, and vacancies. If you’re planning on taking the exam next year, you can find the syllabus on the government’s official website. For more such information on UPSC, follow us here at your one-stop solution for UPSC preparations.