Why in news?
The Lok Sabha passed a bill that seeks to transform the National Rail and Transportation University into central university to be called Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya which seeks to expand the scope of the deemed university from beyond the railways to cover the entire transport sector to support the ambitious growth and modernisation in the field.
About Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya
- Location: Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Carry out critically-needed research and development by creating innovative technologies to encourage local manufacturing and substitute imports of expensive technology, equipment and products.
- Aims to address the need of talent in the strategically important and expanding transportation sector and meet the demand for trained talent to fuel the growth and expansion of the sector.
- Take additional measures for providing high quality teaching, research and skill development in diverse disciplines related to transportation, technology and management including establishing centres in India and abroad.
PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan
- The University is named after the government’s flagship Rs 100 lakh crore PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan for multi-modal connectivity.
- The Plan is essentially a digital platform bringing together 16 ministries, including roadways and railways for integrated planning and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects.
- It seeks to incorporate infrastructure schemes of various ministries and state governments such as Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry and land ports, UDAN.