Why in news?
Assam CM urges all states to include chapter on Lachit Borphukan
About Lachit Borphukan:
- He was an Army General of Ahom (Assam) Kingdom and is revered as the greatest military hero of Assam.
- Born on 24th November -Lachit Diwas is celebrated every year on 24th November to commemorate the heroism of Lachit Borphukan and the victory of the Assamese army at the Battle of Saraighat, which was fought on the banks of the Brahmaputra in Guwahati
- Excelled in the art of Guerrilla Warfare.
- Known for his leadership in the 1671 Battle of Saraighat, where the Ahoms defeated the Mughal forces.
- Since 1999, National Defence Academy (NDA) has been conferring the best passing out cadet with the Lachit Borphukan gold medal.