Recently many changes have been introduced in the academic system of India starting from the school to college level. New National Education Policy has been approved by the Union Cabinet reflecting all the changes.
This newly approved plan talks about major transformational reforms in the Indian academic sector which are appreciated by many. Along with appreciation, there is also criticism which focuses on the drawbacks of this new education policy.
So, what are the pros and cons of the new education policy 2020? Which post/ course has been removed from higher education as per the NEP 2020? Let’s waste no more time and dig a bit deeper into this topic and find out all the important facts about it.
Pros and Cons of New Education Policy 2020
Let’s begin with the advantages of NEP 2020.
Advantages of New Education Policy 2020
- The Government aims to make schooling available to everyone with the help of NEP 2020.
- Approximately two crore school students will be able to come back to educational institutes through this new approach.
- According to the national education policy 2020, 5+3+3+4 structure will replace the existing 10+2 structure. This structure is focused on student’s formative years of learning. This 5+3+3+4 structure corresponds to ages from 3 to 8, 8 to 11, 11 to 14 and 14 to 18. 12 years of schooling, 3 years if Anganwadi and pre-schooling are included in this structure.
- For children up to the age of 8, a National Curricular and Pedagogical Framework for Early Childhood Care and Education will be designed and developed by NCERT.
Other Merits of NEP 2020
- According to the national education policy 2020, the Education Ministry is to set up a National Mission on Foundational Literacy and Numeracy. The responsibility for successful implementation for achieving the foundation numeracy and literacy for all students till class three falls upon the states of India. This implementation is scheduled to be done by 2025.
- One of the merits of NEP 2020 is the formation of National Book promotion Policy in India.
- Appropriate authorities will conduct the school examinations for grades 3, 5 and 8. The board exams for grades 10 and 12 will continue but the NEP 2020 aims to re-design the structure with holistic development.
- This new plan focuses on setting up a Gender Inclusion Fund. Special Education Zones for disadvantaged regions and groups is also in the focused list.
Some more Advantages of New Education Policy 2020
- Parakh national education policy is to be set up by the Government.
- Special daytime boarding school “Bal Bhavans” to be established in every state/ district in India. This boarding school will be used for participation in activities related to play, career, art.
- By 2022, in consultation with teachers and expert organizations, NCERT, SCERTs, the National Council for Teacher Education will develop a common National Professional Standards for Teachers (NPST).
- SSSA or independent State School Standards Authority will be set up by the states/ UTs.
- According to the national education policy 2020, an Academic Bank of Credit will be established. The credits earned by the students can be stored and when the final degree gets completed, those can be counted.
More Pros of New Education Policy 2020
- According to the national education policy 2020, Multidisciplinary Education and Research Universities at par with the IITs and IIMs will be set up in the country. These are scheduled to be set up for introducing multidisciplinary academic.
- The same list of accreditation and regulation rules will be used for guiding both the public and private academic bodies.
- Phased out college affiliation and autonomy will be granted to colleges.
- By the year 2030, it will be mandatory to have at least a four year B. Ed degree for joining the occupation of teaching.
- For making the students prepared for future pandemic situations, online academic will be promoted on a larger scale.
Drawbacks of the New Education Policy
- In the National Education Policy 2020, language is a negative factor as there is a problematic teacher to student ratio in India, thus introducing mother languages for each subject in academic institutes is a problem. Sometimes, finding a competent teacher becomes a problem and now another challenge comes with the introduction of the NEP 2020, that is bringing study material in mother languages.
- According to the national education policy 2020, students willing to complete their graduation have to study for four years while one can easily complete his/ her diploma degree in two years. This might encourage the pupil to leave the course midway.
Another Drawback of the New Education Policy
- According to the national education policy 2020, students of the private schools will be introduced with English at a much earlier age than the students of the Government schools. The academic syllabus will be taught in the respective regional languages of the Government school students. This is one of the major new education policy drawbacks as this will increase the number of students uncomfortable in communicating in English thus widening the gap between sections of the societies.
How the New Education Policy will be Implemented?
- The new education policy in 2020 came after 30 years and is all set to change the existing academic system of India with the purpose of making it at par with the international standard of academic.
- The Government of India aims to set up the NEP by the year 2040. Till the targeted year, the key point of the plan is to be implemented one by one.
- The proposed reform by NEP 2020 will come into effect by the collaboration of the Central and the State Government.
- Subject wise committees will be set up the GOI with both central and state-level ministries for discussing the implementation strategy.
With the introduction of NEP 2020, many changes have been made and one of those is the discontinuation of M. Phil course. Even though there are many drawbacks in the new education policy, the merits are more in number. It is believed by many that by implementing these changes, the Indian academic system will be taken a step higher. What are your thoughts on this? Do share your thoughts with us by commenting in the below box.