The UPSC sets the exam in three phases. The first entrance is qualifying in nature: Preliminary Examination. It has two papers with multiple-choice questions (objective) each for two hours. Once one clears the Prelims exam one is eligible to appear in the Mains written exams. The interview comes at last.
About upcoming Prelims 
The UPSC Prelims is scheduled to be held on 31st May 2020. The UPSC is supposed to release notification on 12th February. The final date for receipt of applications as scheduled is on 3rd March 2020. It is suggested to check eligibility criteria before getting into the process. The candidate must be a bachelor from a recognized university.
There are two papers in the UPSC Prelims Exam.
Morning session: General studies (9.30 am to 11.30 pm)
Afternoon session: CSAT (2.30pm – 4.30 pm)
Morning session: 9.00 am to 12.00 noon
Afternoon session: 2pm to 5pm.
Civil Services Examination Time Table [2019-2020]
Upcoming UPSC Exam dates
- UPSC Mains Exam (2019) commences from 20.09.2019 and will continue for five days.
- Indian Forest Service Examination (IFS) Mains commences from 1.12. 2019 and will continue for ten days.
- UPSC Civil Service Examination 2020 registration procedure commences from 12.02.2020 and will continue till 03.03.2020. The exam will be held on 31.05.2020
- UPSC Mains Exam (2020) for Prelims qualified candidates will be able to commence in appearing in Mains Exam from 18.09.2020.
- Indian Forest Service Exam notification and registration will commence from 12.02.2020 and will continue till 03.03.2020. The exam will be commenced from for Prelims qualified candidates on 31.05.2020. UPSC also has announced a date for exam 22.11.2020.
Dates are subjected to the rules and regulations of the committee of the UPSC. So, it is requested to keep updated and visit the website for further clarification.