UPSC Posts List and Salary: Check-out the 24 UPSC Service List that Awaits You
A lot of times, the words UPSC and IAS mean the same to most people. It was very common for people to think that there exists only the IAS job after writing UPSC, but this is wrong. The UPSC post list is way wider than that.
If you go through the UPSC job list, you will realise that there are a lot of jobs that give the same amount of salary as an IAS officer, which is the main attraction for people. In this ever-growing world, it is important to look for different options too.
Being basic is a thing of the past. It is time to develop yourself and look for other posts too. Go through the UPSC post list and compare the salary, but remember that salary is not beyond and end-all!
UPSC Post List
The UPSC job list consists of 24 services. And these 24 job lists have been divided into three main categories:
- All-India Services- as the name suggests, the services can be availed throughout India and they are the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and the Indian Police Service (IPS).
- Group A Services also called Central Services
- Group B services also called State Services
Toppers can choose any of the services they like, but most choose IAS or IPS.
Group A Service
There are 16 services in the group A UPSC Job list, this list is related to issues of the central government.
- Indian P&T Accounts & Finance Service
- Indian Audit and Account Service
- Indian Revenue Service (customs and central excise)
- Indian Defence Accounts Service
- Indian Revenue Service
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Postal Service
- Indian Civil Accounts Service
- Indian Railways Traffic Service
- Indian Railways Accounts Service
- Indian Railways Personnel Service
- Indian Railways Protection Force (Assistant Security Commissioner)
- Indian Defence Estates Service
- Indian Information Service
- Indian Trade Service, Group A (Grade 3)
- Indian Corporate Law Service
Group B Services
There are 5 jobs in the group B service list, this service list is centred towards a state or union territory.
- Pondicherry Civil Service
- Pondicherry Police Service
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (Section Officer’s Grade)
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep Islands, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep Islands, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service
Other UPSC Service List
Other than the 24 service list, The UPSC also holds and conducts exam for various jobs, they are:
- Engineering Service Examination
- Geologists Examination
- Special Class Railway Apprentices Exam
- National Defence and Naval Academy
- Combined Medical Services Academy
- Combined Defence Services Academy
- Indian Economic or Statistical Service
- Stenographer Limited Departmental Competitive Exam
- Central Police Forces
With salary being the most important factor for people whilst choosing a post in the UPSC, it is important to compare the topmost paying jobs but remember if they pay well, you will have to work well too! The recent seventh commission pay has now increased salaries in all the sectors of the and it is also speculated for a higher increase in the coming years. Sounds pretty exciting for most!
An IAS officer’s salary starts from INR 56000 and ranges up to INR 2,50,000 per month. This depends on the rank.
Also Read: Things You Must Know about UPSC CSE
An IFS officers salary ranges from 13000 to 90000 per month and top of this daily allowance due to them being situated in a foreign country is also given. This daily can total up to 2.4 lakhs INR per month depending on the country they are posted in and the rank they hold.
An Indian Forest Service officer earn from INR 15000 to INR 67000 again depending on rank
The next post, the Indian Police Service, is a well paid and highly respected post. One can receive anywhere from INR 39000 to INR 2,12,650. This might be shocking, but this is real.
An Indian Revenue Service officer can earn up to a massive INR 80000 per month.
Most UPSC job lists have a similar salary but the all India Service list has better pay and also few perks are better for them, but all these posts are equally respectable and equally required for the country.
Tips For Selecting Job
There are many things you should keep in mind while selecting a post.
- Understand the dynamics of the post. This means, make sure you know what will be required from you for the post and if you can work that way
- Understand your strengths. Each post will require a different skill from you, so understand your strength and then apply.
- Do not run after a higher salary. Yes, money is important, but it is not beyond and end-all. Look for other perks, too.
- Make sure that it is a decision based on your wish and choice and not someone else’s opinion. Yes, ask around, but do not get influenced very easily.
Also read: Check this Guide to Crack CSE
UPSC is said to have the toughest syllabus and also the best of jobs. So, if you are writing the UPSC exam and want to know what you can do after clearing it, then go through the UPSC job list. There are mainly 24 services provided by the UPSC, but there are 9 others too. You can write the UPSC exam for either of the 33 jobs, and all of these jobs are very well respected.
You will be a public servant and a government official no matter which post you take. Thus, you will be eligible for all the perks and thanks to the seventh central pay commission, there is now a hike in salaries and perks given.
What you decide to choose after writing the civil service exam should be based on your choice and nothing else. Never be pressured while making these decisions. Work hard and results will follow. All the best for your exam!